Tuesday, April 2, 2013

B-I-G-O-T-R-Y

Those of you already following this blog have seen it. Late Monday, a Facebook 'friend' responded to a post of mine with an appalling display of bigotry, the likes of which I've not seen in some time, and would hate to see any of my LGBT friends have to endure. Yes, I do have some. In this day and age, most of us do, even the bigot in question, though he's likely unaware.

Needless to say, I've removed him from my friends list and added him to my 'blocked' list. He has the dubious distinction of being the first.

The post in question was an internet 'meme', as they're known. It was a still photo of Gene Wilder in his role as Willie Wonka. In the picture, Mr Wonka has a very patronizing smile on his face, and the caption goes on to question the claim made by some people that homosexuality is unnatural. The caption disputes this by listing many other 'unnatural' things that we happily accept, like heart surgery.

I shared this meme because I agree with the sentiment and support full equality, regardless of race, creed, ethnicity, religion, gender or gender/sexual orientation. I even have a bit of a 'dog in this fight' as i have family members who are openly gay. My 'friend', who shall now remain nameless as he doesn't deserve the attention, decided to educate us poor equality supporters. To wit: I'll have you know that Gene came from a time when gays were thrown in the gutter. I'm sure he was against homosexuals like anyone else. To put his face on a poster with a gay caption is an insult to him & to me...I'm hardly wrong & theres nothing to get over, but the fact that gays need to disappear fo r good!!!!

Now, nowhere was it claimed that Gene was gay, but regardless of the 'time' he was from, Gene is a progressively-minded man, and even if he does not support equality (which we don't know because he's never been asked) I'm sure he would not be insulted, in fact probably finds the meme funny.

My 'friend' went on to say "He was married to Gilda Radner & practically everyone hated gays back then. Shows how much you know about those times honey, if you were gay or even stuck up for gays you got the shit beaten out of you!!!! & I could care less if you don't like hearing it. Today if you want to be gay then get ready to take the flac that comes with the territory....SIMPLE!!!!!"; and "I could care less if you think I'm wrong, your just one person...remember there will ALWAYS be more against gays than with them...the nagging & the flac will never stop. Gays are too stupid to know that they've opened a BIG fucking wound that will never close..society will never let them live in peace....again SIMPLE!!!!"

More against than with? Hardly. If anything, studies have shown that society as a whole is becoming more accepting with each passing day. As for the rest of it, it sounds like something Strom Thurmond would say. About blacks or gays, take your pick. He was a KKK Grand Dragon, after all.

Anyway, this kind of bigotry really bothers me. Blogging is therapeutic. Comments?

~Mahalo~

1 comment:

  1. As an aside, I also got the distinct impression that he thinks Gene Wilder is dead. Gene is not dead.

    ReplyDelete