Sunday, September 16, 2012

And Now, An Update On My Quandary

So now that I've waxed philosophical about the Apple vs Samsung lawsuit, it's time to update my personal views, in re the quandary that I discussed in the prior blog entry.

The new keynote was a great success. The unveiling of iPhone 5 was done right. Tim Cook did a good job this time of delivering the address with his own style (albeit sometimes with too much emphasis on certain words, but he's getting there). He no longer looks like an attempt at Steve Jobs 2.0. The team has gelled since Steve's death, and Phil, Scott, Greg et al were all solidly behind Tim in this address, and each played their own parts well. The redesigned iPhone 5, in my opinion, is suitably wowing. I really like the new chassis. It retains the successful elements of the 4 chassis, while innovating that design and updating it with cleaner lines, and a beautiful surface. Johnny's team did a fantastic job with it. Rolling in an 8mp rear facing camera, 720p front facing camera, Facetime over LTE, upgrades to Siri and iOS 6 in the wings, not to mention the 2x faster Apple A6 processor and an increase in battery life, all makes for a great new model of an already great line of smartphone.

Has my quandary been solved? Mostly. In fact, it was greatly narrowed down even before the Sept 12 release of the iPhone 5. I don't trust Google. Yes I know, this blog is on a Google site. That may be changing. It may not, I'm not sure yet. Google is admittedly a front for the US gov't's data mining efforts, and I simply don't want to willingly give them that much of my personal information. My blog is one thing, as is my email. But all the information that gets stored on a smartphone these days? No. Even though I am an Alex Jones fan and viewer, I honestly do not believe that Apple participates in those data mining efforts. At least, not on behalf of the government. Steve was very anti-big government, and I really don't believe he'd have stayed on as CEO if Apple were involved in spying for Big Brother. It is true that the iPhone is capable of being used in that way, but I don't believe Apple actually does. I do however believe that Google does.

So that brought me to a choice between a Windows 8 phone or iPhone 5. Honestly, that choice is a fairly easy one. Microsoft, Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates are a part of the global elite. Would a Microsoft-branded or -powered phone mine data for the gov't and NWO? Most certainly. Again, Steve Jobs was anti- NWO, anti - Big Brother, and pro - individual privacies. And although Steve is no longer with us, I like to believe that Tim, Phil, Scott, Johnny, Greg, etc still follow Steve's ideals in that regard. I believe that the iPhone and iOS will actually allow me to protect those privacies more than its competition.

It's not just the privacy issues though, although that is a big factor in my decision making process. It's also design. The Galaxy is huge. I've played around with one at the local big box store, and it's uncomfortably huge, in my opinion and perception. As is the Nokia Lumia 920. Both sport screens of 4.5 inches or more, making the overall frame of the phone uncomfortably large. That alone tips the scale in favour of the iPhone 5, for me. Combined with the updated features of the iPhone 5, as revealed this week, I believe iPhone 5 is still the leader in this race. At least for me it is. I admit to still being a little unwowed by the New iPad's specs, as compared to the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, but the iPhone 5 has brought me back.

I also revealed, in my first 'quandary' blog post, some thoughts and ideas about Samsung, Android, Apple, and the lawsuit. Well, some of those opinions have been modified, some still stand. One notable modification is my opinion of the lawsuit. After educating myself more on what the lawsuit was about, I'm on Apple's side.  I wish more people would educate themselves before dissenting. I don't care if your opinion still differs from mine after educating yourself, so long as you took the time to do so. I really hate it when people form an opinion without getting all the facts. I still think Samsung has some great products, by the way, and I think Samsung can provide strong competition for Apple. I think Samsung has it within the company to be able to truly innovate, not just copy, and really give consumers a good reason to be undecided. But as my opinions and understanding of Google have changed, my opinion on Android has changed as well, and not for the better.

And that's how my mind wanders. Scary, innit?

~Mahalo~

No comments:

Post a Comment