Thursday, November 17, 2011

Dudley Do-Right Strikes Again

Yep, that iconic hero of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police seems to be back with them as a full time constable. Only this time, Snidely Whiplash has gotten one over on him.

According to CBCnews.ca, Dion Nordick of Grand Forks, B.C., has seized two surveillance cameras that he says the RCMP had hidden in trees near his home. The flash memory cards contained in these cameras, he asserts, are full of images from various crime scenes and investigations, many of which are totally unrelated to Mr. Nordick, or the RCMP's alleged investigation of him.

I'm not going to rehash the whole story, if you're interested, you can read it here. Here's one part of the story I really get a kick out of though: RCMP Sgt Dan Seibel was quoted as saying “The fact that someone has committed a criminal act and stolen our cameras certainly is, I guess, a concern for RCMP and for our investigators". I had to laugh at that, because from what I've read, I don't see a criminal act having been committed here. I see the RCMP being caught with their pants down, and now I see them saying "please mister, can we have our cameras back that we left on YOUR property?" When somebody leaves something in my yard, and doesn't tell me they've done so, or when they intend to return for it, it becomes my property, not theirs. Nobody asked Mr Nordick's permission to put those cameras on his property, nor does it seem they had obtained a warrant for such. This, to me, and to Nordick's lawyer, is a clear case of trespass, and I would even go so far as to say littering. Nordick has/had every right to seize the cameras, and do as he pleases with them, in my understanding of this situation.

I'm sorry Dudley, I don't think Nell's daddy can save you from this one.

~Mahalo~

No comments:

Post a Comment